Re: galeon problems...

-- Bruno Boettcher <bboett@bboett.dyndns.org> wrote
(on Wednesday, 30 April 2003, 04:30 PM +0200):
> since galeon now is in v1.3.3 i am amazed by the loss of functionality i
> encur...
>
> the readline commands (e.g. ^W) doesn't work anymore on the URL input
> line, letting me close lots of windows in totally unexpected manner...
> that's immensely annoying....
>
> in the bookmarks page there doesn't seem to be the point add to means i
> have to add the bookmarks and then call the editor to find the link at
> the bottom of the hughe list and push it by hand through the
> hierarchy.... thought new versions would bring more features, not
> less....

You're using debian sid, then, which means that the galeon package used
is the gnome2, _development_ version. If you go to the galeon homepage,
it will tell you:

    [W]e are working hard on Galeon 2, a new major version based on
    Gnome 2.  We decided to do a full rewrite of the our code base
    because of the huge changes in Gnome architecture, to improve
    maintainability and stability.

Basically, they've had to pretty much recode the entire browser from the
ground up. The major features are in place, but other things like
bookmark management, cookie and password management, etc., are still
being redeveloped (though stripped down versions are already in place).

> and last but not least, java is installed, but now i get to see  a
> application/x-java-vm missing plugin....  don't know what to do with
> that one either....

As for the java plugin, if you check the archives of the debian-user
list, you'll find that blackdown's debian jre package is broken; you'll
need to grab a binary from blackdown to get it working correctly.

> i have to admit, that i am quite disappointed at the moment by the
> latest galeon... and noticed that speedwise the difference to mozilla
> isn't so big anymore... with the vanishing of the useful features i am
> asking myself why to continue to use that browser...

Two big reasons I can think of: ability to detach and re-arrange tabs,
and the ability to start it in server mode when beginning your X
session. A more minor reason is for theme integration (if you use mainly
gtk2 apps, you can use the same theme for galeon).

--
Matthew Weier O'Phinney
matthew@weierophinney.net