Re: Is this why you shouldn't log in as root?

On Wed, 30 Apr 2003 12:31, David Jardine wrote:

> Wow!  That clinches it.  There's no actual reason, but it's
> stupid.  Who's going to laugh in whose face?

Anything you do when logged in as root is done silently, ie not logged.
OTOH what you do via su or sudo is logged so when you fuck something up you
can examine the logs and see what you did. Sometimes you will be able to undo
the damage that way. At worst you will learn.

Personally I use logcheck so everything I do via sudo is reported back to me
via mail.

HTH
Bob Parker