Re: Log on as root. warning

On Wed, Apr 30, 2003 at 01:32:12AM +0200, David Jardine wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 30, 2003 at 03:28:37AM +1000, bob parker wrote:
> >                                                the problem with logging in as
> > root means that everything you do is done silently.
> >
> > When you `sudo whatever command` your actions will be logged, so if you do
> > stuff anything you can view the logs to see what you did.
>
> Is this something more than bash_history?

Yes.  It goes to /var/log/auth.log.

> > I use logcheck with the output mailed to me. Everything I do with
> > sudo comes back to me for review.
>
> Did you have to set this up specially?  I don't remember others
> mentioning it in this thread as the great advantage of doing it the
> proper way.  And since the point seems to be that logging in as root
> has the potential to blow your system to smithereens, reading how it
> was done wouldn't be all that much of a consolation.

I don't know, but I imagine it would be quite easy to have logcheck
email you lines that look like this:

Apr 30 23:09:31 thebox sudo:      rob : TTY=pts/19 ; PWD=/home/rob/ ; USER=root ; COMMAND=/bin/ls

--
Rob Weir <rweir@ertius.org>                              http://www.ertius.org/
GPG keys: 1024D/1E73B7CD, 4096R/3ABDE5EC     |      Do I look like I want a CC?