Re: Log on as root. warning

On Mon, 28 Apr 2003 10:26, alex wrote:
> I don't understand the warnings about logging in as root
> if all you intend to do is make some changes that only root
> can make.  What difference does it make if you do su
> or log on as root?  Doesn't a root mistake have the same effect
> either way?
>
> I can see why it's not advisable to run internet as root or
> just not necessary if you will be making changes that a
> user can make.
>
> Doesn't root=root regardless of how you become root?
> Ditto for user?
>
> Can someone justify the warning?

Apart from every other comment on this thread, the problem with logging in as
root means that everything you do is done silently.

When you `sudo whatever command` your actions will be logged, so if you do
stuff anything you can view the logs to see what you did.

I use logcheck with the output mailed to me. Everything I do with sudo comes
back to me for review.

HTH
Bob Parker