Re: [OT] deleted .gpg stuff...recovery?

on Wed, 30 Apr 2003 12:45:14AM -0400, Bijan Soleymani insinuated:
> <jbmaxson@surfglobal.net> writes:
>
> > Hey folks,
> >
> > I was in my home directory and ran a friggin "rm -R .*" command
> > and still recovering.  could be worse, I know, but I now no longer
> > have all the juicy GPG stuff that I need to sign/encrypt
> > documents.  Is there any way to recover from this, or do I need to
> > generate a new keypair, post it to the keyservers, etc?
>
> There may be some advanced tools to save your files. But in general
> in the Unixoid world once you delete a file it's gone.
>
> Search up on google for rescue tools, and try not to write anything
> to your disk until you find some rescue tools. Since the gpg stuff
> is so small you might be able to recover it.

how long ago was this?  and how much have you written to that
partition since then?  you can unmount the partition it was on, and go
through all the inodes manually (not sure how off the top of my head,
but others on this list do), and you stand a chance of recovering it.

> For the future you definitely should keep your gpg key on a floppy.

and (though this is open to debate) a revocation certificate for
exactly this purpose.  now that you (might) have lost the secret key
to the old one, you can't revoke it, and it just hangs out there until
it expires, if it ever does.  i ran into this problem recently; my new
key and a revocation certificate are now on an external medium in a
safe place.

</nori>

--
    .~.      nori @ sccs.swarthmore.edu