Re: WMV file still doesn't play and now some packages broke

Roberto Sanchez <rcsanchez97@yahoo.es> writes:

>> Did you reconfigure X after upgrading?
>>

> Yes.  I ran 'dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86', but I had to downgrade
> xserver-xfree86 and xfree86-common back to the testing packages because
> I was getting a black screen when X started with the unstable packages.

This could be it. X is very fussy about configuration stuff. At least
you know that it should work. Often people give up because they just
assume their card is unsupported. You should probably try to find a
copy of someone's working XF86config file with your video card.

>> Did you change your kernel?
>>

> A few weeks ago I compiled my own 2.4.20 kernel, but I ran it a few days
> with stable before going to testing and then I ran testing for a few weeks
> before working up the nerve to go unstable :-)  Before the unstable upgrade
> I was able to view video files no problem (even with the new kernel).

In this case you might need support for the dri and agp in the
kernel. For example I have a radeon in my home computer so I need to
make sure that is available either built-in or as a module. In a
laptop that has a rage 128 I have to make sure that one is
available. Also I have to make sure that the proper agp thing for my
motherboard is included as well. In your case I'm not sure of the
exact options.

Bijan