Re: any suggestions on ntp servers?

On Tue, 29 Apr 2003 18:03:00 -0400
"Antonio Rodriguez" <arodriguez31@cfl.rr.com> wrote:

> Would that be a good idea to use several of them instead of only one?
> Dos anyone have suggestions as to what ntp servers would be better to
> use(FL, US)?

The first one I'd recommend, if it exists, is one operated by your
ISP.  The public servers exist to provide NTP service to people who
can't get it otherwise, and their load is always increasing; best
to avoid tacking on more if you don't need to.  Check with your ISP's
customer support.

But if you *do* need to use a public server. . .you probably already
know this, but just in case, here's a list of public servers:

http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~mills/ntp/servers.html

Try to go for the Stratum 2 servers, to minimize load on the top-
level.  I don't see any in FL on that list, but I do see several
nearby.  Many open-access servers request that you send them an
email letting them know that you're using their server; don't
forget that part.

Also on that page, there's advice about how many servers to use,
and how to choose which ones.  The NTP documentation page, at

http://www.ntp.org/documentation.html

might also be helpful.

Sorry if you already know all this stuff.

-c

		(remove "snip-me." to email)