Re: next debian stable ?

On Tue, Apr 29, 2003 at 02:22:29PM -0400, Noah Meyerhans wrote:

> Of course, as if "when it's done" wasn't already vague enough,
> Debian also has traditionally refused to set "release goals" at all,
> so nobody knows when it's done.  Basically it's "when the release
> manager says so", which I don't believe is a good policy at all.
>
> You don't need to be commercial to have goals or a timeline.

Commercial vendors release their distributions overly frequently, as
they need to make money from the sales. To improve the ratio at which
they trade time against quality, rather than spending time on
improving quality, they may come up with goals and milestones on some
timeline of their project --- and very well with a number of
announcements eventually having great advertising appeal.

But which of their distributions could keep up with Debian in aspects
other than the rate of 'new' releases?

And isn't it one of the genuine responsibilities of the release
manager to tell when the distribution is done and therefore can be
released? The policy is perfectly well.

In particular it is much better than a policy that demands releasing a
distribution just because the timeline dictates it, regardless whether
the work is done or not :)

GH