Re: Running SpamAssassin on an old Pentium

I've had trouble running spamd/spamc on a PMAC 233MHz, basically because
too many spamd processes are spawned and it runs out of memory.

What people haven't mentioned here and what saved me was that you can
limit the number of children spawned by spamd using the -m option.  In
/etc/defaults/spamassassin, under OPTIONS= add "-m 10", or however many
children you think your machine can cope with.  If there are
10, or whatever, processes anymore incoming mail is queued for later
handling. This does, of course, mean delivery is slightly slower.  It
also could cause problems with large volumes as mail could take hours to
deliver, but for my set up it works fine.

It all depends on your volume!