Re: Some Basic Newbie Q's

Hi,
* Chris Share <cpsmusic@labyrinth.net.au> [030429 14:44]:
> Hi,
>
> I have a couple of really basic newbie questions:
>
> 1. How do I logon as the root user? At present, when I start Linux I don't
> seem to get this option in the logon window.

Generally you don't. If you must, log in as a normal user and the use
the su or sudo commands (sudo requires some configuration). There is
a thread on this list regarding this topic right now.

> 2. How do I shutdown/restart the computer when logged on as a normal user?

To reboot you can go to the console (eg. Ctrl Alt F1) and then
Ctrl Alt Del. Use su or sudo to get root privileges so you can issue
the halt or reboot command. Alternatively you display manager (eg. gdm)
may provide this in a menu.

Cheers,

Nick.

--
Debian testing/unstable
Linux cat 2.4.20-looxt93 #1 Tue Apr 22 11:23:37 JST 2003