Re: Can Debian be used instead of Redhat ?

On Mon, 2003-04-28 at 19:44, Joyce, Matthew wrote:
> I need to build a box to run Materials Studio 2.0, it will run on either
> Win2k or Redhat.
>
> I'm happy to use win2k, but the only spare box is quite old,
> PII/350/MMX/96Mb and as it does not need any gui, linux might be
> appropriate.
>
> What I am wondering is, the manufacturer suggests using Redhat, but I have a
> little experience with Debian, is there any reason I can't use debain
> instead ?
>
> This is a link to the install info
> http://www.accelrys.com/support/materials/studio/2_0/genissues/installation.
> html#linuxgw

http://www.accelrys.com/support/materials/studio/2_0/genissues/system_requirements.html
Following the link to the system requirements page shows that
it wants 128MB RAM and RH 6.0-7.1 (which are pretty ancient).

As others have mentioned, it can't hurt to try Debian...

| Ron Johnson, Jr.     Home: ron.l.johnson@cox.net          |
| Jefferson, LA  USA   http://members.cox.net/ron.l.johnson |
| An ad currently being run by the NEA (the US's biggest    |
| public school TEACHERS UNION) asks a teenager if he can   |
| find sodium and *chloride* in the periodic table of the   |
| elements.                                                 |
| And they wonder why people think public schools suck...   |