Re: webmin problem

On Mon, 2003-04-28 at 22:20, Mike Kordik wrote:
> I am new to Debian. I am used to webmin but wanted the latest version so
> I edited my sources.list file and changed 'stable' to 'testing'. I then
> did an apt-get update followed by apt-get dist-upgrade. When it was all
> finished I can no longer connect to webmin.
>
> My Debian computer does not have a monitor or keyboard os I use ssh
> (which still works) and webmin from another computer. My browser
> computer is at 192.168.1.100 and my Debian computer is at 192.168.1.102.
> When I go to the address https://192.168.1.102:10000 it says "Error -
> Access denied for 192.168.1.100".
>
> I do not know where to begin to solve the problem. I thought maybe
> iptables was blocking me but it doesn't even seem to be running.
>
> What can I do to solve this problem?
>
> Thanks

It sounds like that machine isn't on the access control list for webmin
on that machine, and it is requiring contacts to be from explicitly
mentioned machines. If you have lynx (or a graphical browser and X
redirection back to your workstation,) try contacting
https://127.0.0.1:10000 on that machine, and see if it lets you in. Then
you should be able to edit the Webmin User configurations to add more
systems on the network trusted to access webmin on that server.

I just went through that myself over the weekend, so I know how annoying
it is.
ML Kahnt New Markets Consulting
Tel: (613) 531-8684 / (613) 539-0935
Email: kahnt@hosehead.dyndns.org