Re: WMV file still doesn't play and now some packages broke

Roberto Sanchez <rcsanchez97@yahoo.es> writes:

> I installed a bunch of the development packages before compiling mplayer.  Here
> is the output from 'mplayer -vo help'.  Asterisks indicate the options that
> produced actual output with video and sound and all that.  The others either
> did not work or were not appropriate (like GIF/PNG/etc.).  I think the most
> unusual thing is that the xv output did not work, especially since this problem
> did not happen until after I upgraded from testing to unstable last week.  Any
> thoughts?

> Available video output drivers:
>         xv      X11/Xv

xv is both the best output format and also one of the hardest to get
working. Generally to get this to work you need a recent video card
(probably agp, definitely pci), and a well configured X (using DRI,
debian usually sets this up automatically nowadays).

The great part about xv is that you can make the video fullscreen
without putting much strain on your cpu.

> ****    x11     X11 ( XImage/Shm )

This is fine as long as you don't need to make movies fullscreen. If
you do I would advise you to switch down to a lower resolution
(ctrl-alt-+/-). As long as you have a decent cpu even that shouldn't
be a problem.

> ****    gl      X11 (OpenGL)
> ****    gl2     X11 (OpenGL) - multiple textures version

Somewhat between x11 and xv.

> ****    dga     DGA ( Direct Graphic Access V2.0 )

Ok but requires root.

>         ggi     General Graphics Interface (GGI) output
>         fbdev   Framebuffer Device

needs kernel with fbdev, and requires root

> ****    svga    SVGAlib

requires root

> ****    aa      AAlib

tons of fun

>         png     PNG file
>         jpeg    JPEG file
>         gif89a  animated GIF output

output to files, this can get quite large and ugly

>         null    Null video output

null output...

> ****    vesa    VESA VBE 2.0 video output
requires root

>         xvidix  X11 (VIDIX)
sometimes works sometimes doesn't, highly dependent on what card you
have