Re: Can Debian be used instead of Redhat ?

-- Joyce, Matthew <MJoyce@ccia.org.au> wrote
(on Tuesday, 29 April 2003, 10:44 AM +1000):
> I need to build a box to run Materials Studio 2.0, it will run on either
> Win2k or Redhat.
>
> I'm happy to use win2k, but the only spare box is quite old,
> PII/350/MMX/96Mb and as it does not need any gui, linux might be
> appropriate.

Others answered your question regarding whether or not you could run the
program on Debian vs Red Hat. I just want to weigh in my 2 cents worth
regarding your "spare box". My main machine is a Celeron 366 with
256MB RAM -- and I can run a GUI just fine; better than I did with
W98SE. I don't run a full desktop environment like GNOME or KDE, but I
have equivalent functionality with a number of other tools (blackbox or
xfwm for window manager; rox for desktop icons and/or panel; gkrellm for
monitors and a number of applets). Don't get caught in the "older
hardware = lesser functionality" trap.

--
Matthew Weier O'Phinney
matthew@weierophinney.net