Re: Help Needed with Newbie Installation Problem

Chris Share wrote:
Hi,

Please see below for the description of the problem I'm currently having.

One person who responded suggested that I post the XFree86.0.log file. I've attached it to this email. If anyone can help me with what's going wrong it would be greatly appreciated.

Also, someone mentioned that I download and install the packages:

nvidia-glx-src - NVIDIA binary XFree86 4.x driver
nvidia-kernel-src - NVIDIA binary kernel module

I've downloaded these.

Could someone walk me through how I install them.

I am not an "expert", but have had my ration of failures here <g>. I don't have your card, but have seen similar messages on other cards that I use.

In looking over your XFREE86.0.log file, it appears that your card is being recognized properly. This would lead me to believe that one of the following is happening:

1. You are missing some key X package. this is usually one of the core fonts packages. I would re-check your install, and even run tasksel on the full X "task" again to make sure it is all there and installed properly. This amounts to a re-install of the X system.

2. You are trying to use the framebuffer and your card doesn't support it. My 3Dfx Voodoo 3000 gives this exact same message if I try to use it. IIRC, about half way through the initial X config screens on the installer there was a question about using the frambuffer with some verbage about how it usually doesn't make much difference and the default is to use it. If you do # 1 above (a re-install) you should see this message again and this time answer "no". You could also try a "dpgk-reconfigure xserver-xfree86" command as root and it "should" lead you through all those screens again. I am working from memory here, so you might have to search around a bit on which package to run the "dpkg-reconfigure" command upon. BTW, "dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86" is the recommended way to make changes in your /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 file. I use it almost exclusively here.

3. Re-check your settings for your monitor. The failure message is saying it sees "screens" but none are usable. I have this here mostly as a result of #2 above, but your setting (horizontal & verticle synch ranges) also could be off.

You have a much more basic problem to solve before you try to compile the NVIDIA drivers. It should at least startup with the built-in "nv" driver. Compiling & installing the new drivers probably won't solve your current problem. Once you get it running with the "built-in" drivers, then you might want to re-address the NVIDIA module drivers based on "quality" issues. I would put this on the back-burner and get X running first.

Cheers & Good Luck!
-Don Spoon-