Re: Intel Xeon platform

On Mon, 2003-04-28 at 01:01, Ron Johnson wrote:
> On Sun, 2003-04-27 at 22:26, nate wrote:
> > George Wong said:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > 1) Would the Linux download for the Intel Xeon
> > > processor fall under the directory
> > > /dists/stable/main/disks-ia64/
> >
> > no, the xeon is just like any other 32-bit intel processor,
> > it uses the same code as the pentium and 386. so it
> > would be disks-i386 (?)
>
> In fact, depending on what "type" of Xeon it is, I think that
> Xeons are "just" P3s or P4s optimized for SMP and large cache.

Basically yes, plus most Xeons have much more advanced features than
normal P4s.  Example: the P4 based Xeons had hyper threading enabled
from the beginning of the line, while regular P4s didnt get that new
piece of technology enabled till recently.  Basically all the new
Celerons and Xeons have the same core as the P4, just with different
options enabled, different cache sizes, and different optimizations.

--
Scott Henson <debian-list@silvercoin.dyndns.org>