Re: Log on as root. warning

On Sun, Apr 27, 2003 at 08:26:08PM -0400, alex wrote:
> I don't understand the warnings about logging in as root if all you
> intend to do is make some changes that only root can make.  What
> difference does it make if you do su or log on as root?  Doesn't a
> root mistake have the same effect either way?

Yep. However, logging in as root under X means that you're running the
whole edifice of X, your window manager, your desktop environment if you
have one, and so on as root. There's some pretty complex code in there,
and if you don't have to run it as root you shouldn't. I've heard people
express horror at the idea of some bits of Xlib code running as root.

Using sudo, or su if you prefer, means that you're running exactly one
program (plus possibly a shell) as root, and exactly the one you mean to
run. Much safer.

Cheers,