Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2003 16:57:33 +1000
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
From: Chris Share <cpsmusic@labyrinth.net.au>
Subject: Newbie Installation Problem
Hi,

I'm a complete newbie to Debian Linux (although I've been using and programming computers for about 10 years).

I'd like to install and run Debian on my PC that currently runs Windows98/2000, mainly because I'd like to eventually use Demudi (the Debian-based multimedia distribution).

I've got a copy of Debian 3.0 and have managed to install it on a separate partition.

However, I hit a problem when the system starts.

After everything loads, I get a message saying "I cannot start the X Server..." and then I get asked if I want to use a utility to set up the video card/monitor. I'm using a GeForce2MX card with a ViewMaster CM555 monitor.

I've selected the Geforce option in the configuration utility however this doesn't make any difference.

I'm using XFree86 version 4.1.0.1 (I think!)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Chris Share