Re: Logging on to X as root?

there is, but i'd caution you that this is what's called the Wrong Way
of solving your problem.  a better way would be to, as you described, log
in as a normal user, spawn a terminal and su (or sudo) to do what you
need.  if root's bash_profile settings aren't getting executed, try
using su - instead of just su.

hth
	sean