Trouble Ripping Audio CD

Running Debian Woody, with DVD (Compaq DVD-ROM DVD-116) as a reader
and CDRW (PHILIPS CDD4801 CD-R/RW) as writer. Both are Atapi, but set
up for SCSI emulation.Both drives and SCSI sg devices are
read/writable by root (and me as user). I have scsi emulation as a
module in kernel.Running cdparanoia III release 9.8.

When I try to run 'cdparanoia -vsQ', (with an audio cd in the drive) I get:
Checking /dev/cdrom for cdrom...
	Testing /dev/cdrom for cooked ioctl() interface
		/dev/scd0 is not a cooked ioctl CDROM.
	Testing /dev/cdrom for SCSI interface
		generic device: /dev/sg0
		ioctl device: /dev/scd0

Found an accessible SCSI CDROM drive.
Looking at revision of the SG interface in use...
	SG interface version 3.1.22; OK.

CDROM model sensed sensed: Compaq DVD-ROM DVD-116 1.06

Checking for SCSI emulation...
	Drive is ATAPI (using SCSI host adaptor emulation)

Checking for MMC style command set...
	Drive is MMC style
004: Unable to read table of contents header

Unable to open disc.  Is there an audio CD in the drive?

Any ideas? The DVD plays audio cds fine, and I can rip easily enough
under WinME.

BTW, when I try cdda2wav, it seems to be ripping, and I get a file for
each track, but these are just noise.

--
Tom and Ray Magliozzi:
Non impediti ratione cogitationis.

There are 10 types of people in the world:
Those who understand binary and
Those that don't.
Anonymous.