deadkeys in KDE 3.1.1 not working (was: deadkeys in KDE 2.2.2)

also sprach martin f krafft <madduck@debian.org> [2003.04.27.1020 +0200]:
> Yes. And I am currently upgrading to 3.1.1, simply because
> a befriended KDE developer told me, it wasn't possible in 2.2.x...

but I have the same symptoms: now running 3.1.1, and the accents
work under kdm, because X is started without nodeadkeys.

in the control center, i set the keyboard to 105 int'l, german
layout, basic variant.

now when i type an accent aigue (') followed by an a in konsole,
i get a simple a. i get no output whatsoever in openoffice. an
accent grave just shows up as such, so followed by an a, this
produces: `a. the same applies to circonflex (^) and others.

in short, it's not at all working. could anyone point me to how
i can get this to work?

thanks!

`. `'`

Keyserver problems? http://keyserver.kjsl.com/~jharris/keyserver.html