Re: ext3: 100% full; after moving 3GB still full

On Thu, 2003-04-24 at 17:52, Lukas Ruf wrote:
> * Lukas Ruf <ruf@rawip.org> [2003-04-25 00:49]:
> > on one of my server machines, a normal user process (Java) could fill
> > up the whole partition /home (mounted from a separated partition).
> >
> > After moving about 3GB stored in various files to a larger partition,
> > the target partition got the 3GB, however, the /home partition was not
> > "freed" by the same amount of space:
> >
> > Filesystem            Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
> > /dev/hda5              19G   18G   73M 100% /home
> >
> > Does anyone know how to taggle this problem?  Can I re-create the
> > journal, run an e2fsck over the partition to get rid of the problem?
> >

> The problem of getting back could be solved: a process was still
> holding an open fd on a file with about 2.9GB.  However, the problem
> why a user can fill up the whole partition scares me.

????

He can because he is able to.  Quotas would "help".
Or are you thinking that there's a  bug in the Java program?

| Ron Johnson, Jr.     Home: ron.l.johnson@cox.net          |
| Jefferson, LA  USA   http://members.cox.net/ron.l.johnson |
| An ad currently being run by the NEA (the US's biggest    |
| public school TEACHERS UNION) asks a teenager if he can   |
| find sodium and *chloride* in the periodic table of the   |
| elements.                                                 |
| And they wonder why people think public schools suck...   |