Re: Woody installation under VMWare

Roberto Sanchez, 2003-Apr-24 16:29 -0400:
> >From: "nate" <debian-user@aphroland.org>
> >To: <debian-user@lists.debian.org>
> >Subject: Re: Woody installation under VMWare
> >Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2003 12:50:13 -0700 (PDT)
> >
> >> hi nate, thank you.
> >>
> >> this sounds good, but how can i do it in vmware ?
> >> the 'virtual device node' pulldown contains only
> >> scsi0:0 to scsi0:6 !
> >
> >not sure on all my systems there is an IDE option too:
> >
> >http://portal.aphroland.org/~aphro/vmware-screenshot.png
> >
> >nate
> >

> Quick quesion.  Is there a comprehensive howto (aside from the manual you
> can download from vmware.com)?  I have recently tried installing Debian
> Woody and RH9 into vmware virtual machines in the lab at school.
> Everything goes fine until post-install reboot.  Then the xserver is
> uncooperative.  I don't recall the exact error messages, but it was
> basically somehthing like "can't find display."
>
> I made sure to select the video card as vmware in both cases.
>
> Any ideas?

You need to install the vmware-tools.  This process installs the
vmware version of /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 which, as long as you have
installed all the necessary x-windows-system components, should give
you a functioning X.  The procedure is documented at vmware.com and in
the online help.

jc

--