cannot resolve self

Just installed a woody system, and I have some issues with resolving.

* /etc/host.conf is unchanged:
------------------------------
order hosts,bind
multi on

* /etc/hosts is slightly modified:
----------------------------------
127.0.0.1 localhost
999.999.999.999 myname.mydomain.myext

* /etc/nsswitch.conf has a line:
--------------------------------
hosts:	files, nisplus, dns
(same result with just 'files, dns')

* /etc/resolv.conf:
-------------------

domain mydomain.myext (same as in /etc/hosts)
search mydomain.myext ( "					" )
nameserver 666.666.666.666

===> Symptom:
On machine myname, I type
$> host localhost
localhost.mydomain.myext A 127.0.0.1   ( -> :-) )
$> host myhost
myhost.mydomain.myext does not exist (authoritative answer)

If I strace this last command, it doesn't show any sign of opening
/etc/host.conf (and /etc/hosts for that matter), but rather runs to the
dns which doesn't contain a reference to myhost.mydomain.myext

How can I force the resolver to peek into /etc/hosts ?

Thx

Matt