Convert sth to pdf or ps - FONTS PROBLEM

Hi,
I use linux for some time, but this is the first time I am trying to convert file to pdf or ps. I've tried to use sgmltools, but I have a big problem with fonts. I write me stuff in Kword (utf-8 as default encoding) and save as sgml (file.sgml). The document has a lot of characters with diacritics and some Chinese (my thesis, eh) and all these characters are lost in resulting pdf. I have installed zh-sgmltools which should handle this, but it doesn't.
Any help or pointers (the detailed the better, still a noob ;-))
Thanks a lot
Petr