Re: Attaching a file with "mail"

* Carl Fink (carl@fink.to) [030423 08:17]:
> On Wed, Apr 23, 2003 at 07:13:02AM -0300, Fernando Shayani wrote:
> > Is there any way to attach a file to the command mail?
> > I need to automatic send a e-mail with a file attached to it.
> >
> > Ex: mail fernando@shayani.net -s "My subject" ATTACH.TAR
> Not with that syntax, no.  You could mime encode the file using "mimencode",
> then do something like:
> 	cat myencodedfile.txt | mail mail joe@blow.com -s "Subject"
> (I haven't tried this.)
> The answers using mutt and others are of course right, but it is possible to
> do it with mail (and a script).

Right; a more precise answer is that mailx _cannot_ do this.  It doesn't
know mime, nor uuencode.  You can, of course, use the external utilities
to manually mime- or uu- encode a file, and then give that to mailx to
send off.  This is the typical unix way of doing things: you string
together lots of very specific tools to accomplish larger tasks.

good times,
"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice.
Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue."  -- Barry Goldwater