Re: Debian 3.0 on a Dell PowerEdge 600SC

I have been using a 600SC as both my home and office file servers for
about 6 weeks now. Both run woody with the standard woody kernel
(2.4.18-bf2.4). I have not seen any problems with the operation of
either system thus far.

lspci on my system gives the same output that you have shown below. I
assume, of course, you added the Linksys ethernet controller as the
2.4.18 kernel does not support the onboard gigabit ethernet, which is
(as far as I know for all SC600's) and intel gigabit ethernet
controller. You can d'l the drivers for in in src format from Dell's
website; go to support, log in, and you will be able to find drivers for
your system. The file is named: Intel_LAN_v60_src_A.tar.gz. I was not
aware that this driver was being included in later kernel versions, but
I also haven't specifically looked for it; I do know that when dell
ships these systems with Linus preloaded, it is a customized RedHat
distro.

I cannot help in terms of the ATA-33/66/100 issue, as I haven't tried
changing that. Both my work and home Lans are small (<10 simulatenous
clients) and I have found performance to be excellent. In terms of teh
other "unknown" devices - it hasn't seemed to make any difference to
operation. I haven't plugged any USB devices into that system (after
all, it's a server).

Good luck.

nl