having problems with make xconfig with the 2.5 kernel

when I type "make xconfig" in the top level directory of the 2.5 kernel src
tree it tells me:

* Unable to find the QT installation. Please make sure that the
* QT development package is correctly installed and the QTDIR
* environment variable is set to the correct location.

I am running on unstable...but I could not do  full dist-upgrade as there are
package problems in unstable or something but I do have kde 3.1 and gcc 3.2
etc. I only had trouble with 42 packages.

also, I installed from the bf2.4 netinst image with xfs as the file system.

thanks for the help.

Jeremy Petzold