Re: problem with XFree86 initial config

John Kennedy wrote:

Bill wrote:

John Kennedy wrote:

I did a network install of Debian 3.0 and am having problems with configuring X.

I originally selected the wrong xserver [ S3-virge] for my machine [ which is a Compac DP-4000S with 236 meg RAM, 233 mhz cpu and for a video card has a (probing finds) S3 Trio64V2/DX or GX with 2 meg of video RAM]

X will not come up.  I get the following error messages...

EE="no devices found"
Fatal Error="no screens found"

Any guidance you all could give me would be appreciated.

I checked the Docs and I believe I need to run 'xf86config' to change xserver but X doesn't come up afterward.

At the end of the Install process I elected to erase the .deb files.
Is it possible that all the various drivers were erased at that time?

Where do I go from here.

Thanks in advance.

Johnny K

Hi,
I think the S3 Trio64 is supported by the xserver-s3 package. That is the Xfree86 3.3.6 packages, I don't belive that chip s supported by the 4.x.x series. You might have to install this package as well as the xserver-vga to get the basic graphical configuration tools working.

HTH
Bill

Thanks for the help Bill

Are you saying that I need to uninstall 4.x.x and
then install the Xfree86 3.3.6 packages?

Johnny

Hi,
was away from my machine for a long while. You should not need to remove 4.x.x... I think. The 4.x.x and 3.3.6 servers have configuration files different names, so they will not clash. Just make sure that everything needed to configure a working 3.3.6 xserver is installed.

Bill