Upgrading a single package to testing...am I doing this right?

I need to upgrade just a single package (Fetchmail) on my file server
from stable to testing, because I have run into a bug on the version in
stable which I an hoping is fixed in the version in testing. I don't
necessarily want to upgrade the entire system to testing unless there is
a good reason to do so, just on the principle of not rocking the boat on
something that is working.

If I understand the apt howto correctly, what I need to do is add to
/etc/apt/apt.conf the line:
APT::Default-Release "stable"

and also add to /etc/apt/sources.list links to the testing servers.

Once I have done that, I assume that I will need to apt-get remove
fetchmail and then use apt-get -t testing install fetchmail in order to
get to the new version.

Does that seem correct? If not, what should I do instead?

Alternatively, is there a good reason why a file server (using nfs to
serve to linux clients and samba for windows clients) should be upgraded
to testing at this point? I have been running testing on my workstation
for some time without any trouble, so I suppose testing is sufficiently
stable at this point to commit my fileserver to it if there is a good
reason for that.

Thanks.
nl