Apache+NIS authentication (mod_auth_pam) help.

Hi,
(First post to the list!)

I'd like to be able to authenticate against my NIS server, for Apache,
using the .htaccess method.
Unfortunatly, I've not been able to get it to work.

I've apt-get'ed mod_auth_pam, added the relevent line to httpd.conf and
created my .htaccess file but it won't authenticate.

Here's some configuration lines from various files as some sort of hint:
=> httpd.conf
LoadModule pam_auth_module /usr/lib/apache/1.3/mod_auth_pam.so

=> nsswitch.conf
passwd:         compat
group:          compat
shadow:         compat

=> .htaccess
AuthPAM_Enabled on
AuthName "Hexstream users"
AuthType "basic"
require group users

=> Output from tail -f /var/log/auth.log
Apr 22 11:25:44 server-02 PAM_unix[15673]: authentication failure;
(uid=33) -> david for httpd service

=> /etc/pam.d/httpd
auth       required   pam_unix.so
account    required   pam_unix.so

Has anyone got this working with NIS? Would anyone be willing to try it
and/or has anyone got any other suggestions to authenticate with NIS,
via Apache?
FYI, I'm running Debian 3.0/Stable

Thanks in advance and regards,
David.