Re: OT: Databases

On Mon, Apr 21, 2003 at 09:55:12PM +1000 or thereabouts, Russell Shaw scribbled:
> Hi,
> I want to keep track of parts used in building electrical control-boxes.
>
> What is the typical way of setting up a database? Do you construct a
> front-end for forms with some kind of scripting language? What is the
> most popular database and user-interface-builder combination in the
> gnu/linux world?
>
> I know nothing much about interfacing to or using a database, but i can
> do any scripting/programming if needed. There's tons of google hits,
> but no newbie howtos.

I think in the linux world mysql and postgresql are the most popular.
if you install mysql, they have a short tutorial in the documentation
section of there website.

There is also the simple dbm database library that comes on linux boxes
by default. Perl is set up to use it directly. With DBI you can use Perl
with just about any of the free databases.