X Server crashing (the SiS 646 - 5591/5592 AGP)

Hi,

Since I have installed a new motherboard, my computer
crashes on a
regular manner when I am using X Windows. The screen
freezes with vertical lines. It does not happens all
the time, however the use
of some applications seem to provoke it (for instance
gaim, kde desktop
environment but not individual kde applications, some
web pages).

I am trying to find out what to do to fix the problem.
I am using kernel
2.4.20 on a Debian stable machine. A lspci reveals
that not all the hardware is recognised by the kernel
(see below). I am not too sure on what is causing the
issue:
a) is it because the SiS 646 is not recognised by the
kernel
b) is it because the SiS 5591/5592 AGP is not
supported by the kernel?
c) is it because the graphic card is an old Trident
3DImage 975 which may not be a 100% compatible with
newer motherboards?

I am keen on exploring further the issue, so any idea,
hint or suggestion would be welcome.

Thanks

Raphael

===================

[~] $ lspci
00:00.0 Host bridge: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS]:
Unknown device
0646
00:01.0 PCI bridge: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS]
5591/5592 AGP
00:02.0 ISA bridge: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS]
85C503/5513 (rev
04)
00:02.5 IDE interface: Silicon Integrated Systems
[SiS] 5513 [IDE]
00:02.7 Multimedia audio controller: Silicon
Integrated Systems [SiS]
SiS7012 PCI Audio Accelerator (rev a0)
00:03.0 USB Controller: Silicon Integrated Systems
[SiS] 7001 (rev 0f)
00:03.1 USB Controller: Silicon Integrated Systems
[SiS] 7001 (rev 0f)
00:03.2 USB Controller: Silicon Integrated Systems
[SiS] 7001 (rev 0f)
00:03.3 USB Controller: Silicon Integrated Systems
[SiS]: Unknown
device 7002
01:01.0 VGA compatible controller: Trident
Microsystems 3DImage 9750
(rev f3)