Re: /var and /home are gone

on Thu, Apr 17, 2003 at 11:01:37PM -0400, Travis Crump (pretzalz@techhouse.org) wrote:
> Jonathan Brandmeyer wrote:
> >Karsten M. Self wrote:
> >
> >>Kiss your data goodbye.  Odds of successful journaled data recover are
> >>slim to nill.
> >

> >I was afraid of something like that.
> >So, does that mean I need to re-install my system, or can I rebuild a
> >/var tree and re-add myself as a user from scratch?  I think I can
> >figure out the latter, it is the former that worries me.
> >
> >-Jonathan
> >

> If you don't have a backup of /var/lib/dpkg then you are probably better
> off reinstalling.  There have been discussions in the past that
> directories in /usr/share/doc have almost a 1:1 relationship to
> installed packages and leveraging that to rebuild /var/lib/dpkg/status,
> but I don't know if they were successfull

The process can't be fully automated, but Osamu Aoki and I have roughed
out _most_ of a script to handle chunks of things.  Friends have used it
and/or similar processes to recover systems.  Original suggestions from
Nick Petreley and others.

For current docs, see:

  http://qref.sourceforge.net/Debian/reference/ch-package.en.html#s-rescue-var

Peace.

    The truth behind the H-1B IT indentured servant scam:
    http://heather.cs.ucdavis.edu/itaa.real.html