Re: bloating file system

on Wed, Apr 16, 2003 at 03:45:49PM -0400, Harland Christofferson (Harland.Christofferson@ZeroCrossings.com) wrote:

> At 16 April 2003, Matthias Hentges <eebe@gmx.net> wrote:
>
> >Am Mit, 2003-04-16 um 19.33 schrieb Harland Christofferson:
> >> i have a root "/" file partition that has swelled to 100% use
> >> without explaination. preceding this, my machine had faulty ram. i
> >> replaced the ram. i do not know if this somehow caused an error in
> >> the filesystem.  does anyone know how i may repair this bloated
> >> filesystem?
> >
> >The faulty RAM module may have produced lots and lots of error
> >messages in your logfiles.
> >
> >Check /var/log, or do a "cd /;du -h *" to find the folder which
> >filled up your HD.

> you are precisely correct! /var/log/syslog and /var/log/debug were
> titantic in size! furthermore, tons-o-email error messages in /var/spool
> ..
>
> interesting symptom.

Please use postfix quoting format:  your reply goes below the material
cited.  Trim your quotes appropriately and ensure your attributions are
accurate.

See: http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/jargon/html/Email-Quotes.html

Thank you.

Sounds also as if you could use logrotate (a Debian package) and sane
partitioning.  Concerning the latter:

    http://kmself.home.netcom.com/Linux/FAQs/partition.html

Peace.

    Windows Refund Day II:  fight for your right to refund
    http://www.windowsrefund.net/