fsck root file system

My system got hard-reset and the root file system (ext2) reports errors on boot. How can I fsck the root file system?

1. I can't do it after a normal boot, because the root file system is mounted.

2. I can't do it a simple boot floppy, because fsck isn't on the floppy. To get fsck, I'd have to mount the file system, but then I can't fsck it. Even Tom's rtbt doesn't include fsck.

3. I have an old Red Hat 7 install disk with fsck on it, but when I boot under it, there is no /dev/hda for me to run it on!

Would a Debian install CD work? I always install Debian from a net boot CD, so I don't have one. What about knoppix? What is the normal way to deal with this problem?

So that I don't have this problem in the future, I'd like to make my root file system ext3. Does the stock Debian kernel support this?