RE: sudden (and selective) autism

frankly I think your trolling, attempting to frighten sysadmins.

DM

On Sat, 19 Apr 2003 17:04:10 -0700 Jim McCloskey <mcclosk@ucsc.edu> wrote:
--- Begin Message ---
Christian Jaeger <christian.jaeger@ethlife.ethz.ch> wrote:

|> The more important question is why did the original inetd (started by
|> root) exit. (And sure, who did start the new one)

Yes. Presumably if the root-owned inetd had not been forced to exit,
it would have continued to accept legal requests-to-connect.

|> If inetd hat a buffer overflow problem, and someone made it crash,
|> and then (maybe later on) gained access to some user on the system
|> and restarted inetd, this could explain your observations. There
|> are no other explanations coming to my mind (netkit-inetd is not
|> even restarted by cron as it seems; the only other things killing a
|> running inetd should be software upgrades (of netkit-inetd), or
|> maybe some erroneous kill command issued by the admin).

This, or something like it, was my fear, of course. There have been no
recent upgrades of the system. And the last login by root was almost a
week before this incident. So the root-owned inetd was killed neither
by an administrator nor by an upgrade.

Sigh. I wish I could think of a less malicious explanation.

Thank you very much indeed for your help,

Jim