Re: Digital Speakers

Thus spake Paul Johnson (baloo@ursine.dyndns.org):

> On Fri, Apr 18, 2003 at 01:14:00PM -0400, Bijan Soleymani wrote:
>
> > Of course a professional solution would use a D/A converter seperate
> > from the speakers.
>
> Isn't that the whole idea behind a sound card to begin with?  Rip out
> the DAC and you have a nice PCI to l-plug adapter.  I can't imagine
> this being cheaper, since it requires additional external hardware to
> deal with that...it's like one step down from a winmodem.  (Winmodem:
> Sound card with the wrong outputs).

No doubt it would cost more, but it will probably sound better. Most
sound cards are very, very far from Hi Fi quality.

I notice that HK also have a computer-to-stereo box which can take
either raw digital bitstreams or MP3s and feed the analogue output to
your stereo system.

My HK CD recorder make far better sounding recordings than either of
the sound cards I've used.
--
|Deryk Barker, Computer Science Dept. | Music does not have to be understood|
|Camosun College, Victoria, BC, Canada| It has to be listened to.           |