Re: Debian & Serial ATA

On Fri, Apr 18, 2003 at 10:19:55AM +0200, Jarek Jaskowski wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Has anybody run Debian on Silicon Image 3112A SATA
> controller with Serial ATA Seagate disks ?
>
> RH 8.0 works, but only with drivers from floppy disk loaded.
> RH 9.0 does not recongnize my RAID controller, so I can not
> set any raid array.
>
> Another disadvantage is that I don't like RH ;-), but I must
> have my server working.

I looked intot his awhile ago, since I was peripherally involved in a
machine with a SATA controller (same one you are using, in fact).

From what I can tell, the 2.4.20-ac (that's the Alan Cox version)
of the kernel has support for the controller, but I'm unaware of any
debian kernel binary that has this compiled in.  Grab the latest
2.4.20 kernel from kernel.org, grab the Alan Cox patch, and apt-get
patch and kernel-package, and have fun.  Shouldn't be hard if you've
compiled a kernel before.

--
        ...crying "Tekeli-li! Tekeli-li!"... ~ HPL
 icq : 34583382              |     === ascii ribbon campaign ===