Re: What about linmodem, linprinter etc (Was: Re: Users ready for Debian on the Desktop)

On Sat, 19 Apr 2003 04:39, Shri Shrikumar wrote:

> I think that this brings up an interesting point. In an world where
> microsoft and its products are quickly going out of fashion, which
> hardware vendors are at the forefront of linux supported hardware ?
>
> I figure that Dell is probably not that far up there, but what about
> other companies like HP / Compaq.
>
> I know that companies are starting to provide drivers for linux and such
> but have found hardware support still a little lacking compared to the
> windows counterparts.
>
> Is there a list somewhere of hardware manufacturers that work best with
> linux ?

It seems to me that the best way is to forget the badged boxes and get a box
made from generic parts. Of course you need to look into the Linux
compatability of the parts.

That way your box will not only be more suitable for Linux, you will also
have a likely better upgrade path as well.

hth
Bob