gnome2.2 panel mystery - newbie question

Hello,
I have been running debian unstable on x86 for about a month now. Last
week, I updated my gnome 2.2 install and now my panels are gone. I don't
have _any_ panels at all.  has anyone else had this problem?   I also
don't know enough about gnome to know how to restart these things
manually.  If anyone knows how I can fix this, _please_ let me know or
atleast point me in the right direction.
Please CC any replies to me as I am not a member of this list.
TIA
ajay