Re: XFree86 has pituitary problem?

On Thu, 2003-04-17 at 18:24, Carl Fink wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 17, 2003 at 02:41:24PM -0700, Stephen A. Witt wrote:
>
> > Well, on two woody machines that are handy here at work, one has XFree86
> > with a size = 19616 kb and the other 22164 kb. This is SIZE according to
> > 'top' which is the task's code + data + stack. So, based on this, I would
> > say you're right, it is bigger by an order of magnitude that mine. I've
> > never looked into this before, so really don't know what is normal, but it
> > would seem there is a problem. You could reboot and see if what it is from
> > a fresh start (if you don't mind rebooting).
>
> Nah, I just killed X (^backspace).  Now it's 12M. Odd.
> --
> Carl Fink             carl@fink.to
> Jabootu's Minister of Proofreading
> http://www.jabootu.com

Much of it is memory leaks of other applications or not yet
overwritten/reallocated but released data structures in X, such as
opened, presented, and then closed windows that did not *entirely* clean
up after themselves. I find that the more images I look at in an X
session, the quicker that number goes up. Remember, every jpeg and gif
is presented on the display UNCOMPRESSED, so a few allocations of memory
to allow for the presentation of images doesn't take long to build up
"reported memory usage"
ML Kahnt New Markets Consulting
Tel: (613) 531-8684 / (613) 539-0935
Email: kahnt@hosehead.dyndns.org