Re: Bash autocompletion

Once upon a time Paul Johnson said...
> On Thu, Apr 17, 2003 at 01:11:44PM +0200, Michael Naumann wrote:
> > Did you try it?
>
> Yes, I use it every day...
>
> > You can see what I mean with:
> >
> > cd /tmp
> > mkdir test
> > cd test
> > touch abc.mp2
> > xmms a<TAB>
> >
> > I'm referring to the bash-installation that comes with woody.
>
> Bash autocompletion hasn't changed in years.

He is referring to /etc/bash_completion, which does intelligent
auto-completion for various commands. Unfortunately it's not all that
intelligent sometimes and limits what you can do instead of helping you.

Michael, I dont know of any solution - I wish I did because I have the
same sort of problems occasionally. It's almost enough for me to turn it
off (except the dpkg/apt-get completions are really useful).