How do I know which modules or type of modules will be loaded at boot

I am confused about auto loading of modules at boot time.

In fact I had my kernel 2.4.18(Deb 3.0) recompiled to use modules for
activating my network card.  However, after reboot the network card
seems to be not working referring to those error messages.  At the end I
find out that the module of my network card has to be loaded manually by
myself(coz I couldn't see it by typing "lsmod").  However, there are
modules already loaded by the system which is not listed on the file
"/etc/modules".

How do I know which modules or type of modules will be loaded at boot
time?  Is it the general practice to activate my network's module by
including the modules name of my network card in the file
"/etc/modules"?

Thank you

Jones