Re: Newbie problems

John Kenyon writes:
On Wed, Apr 16, 2003 at 03:53:59AM -0600, ajitabhpandey@softhome.net wrote:
Scott Henson writes:
>On Tue, 2003-04-15 at 22:46, ajitabhpandey@softhome.net wrote:
>>Hi, >> >>I am using Knoppix 3.1 which is based on Debian unstable. I am having >>following problems: >Two things. One, Knoppix doesnt have a root user. You have to use sudo >for everything. Knoppix does have a root user, I checked in /etc/passwd and also I am able to login using kdm as root.

in X if you look under the knoppix menu, you will see an option for a root
shell. From there you should be able to set root's password, which should allow you to do what you want. The shell will come up without a password.

Yes, I just opened my mail to reply for this only. Accidently I discovered it. When I tried to set the password using the passwd command (I just wanted blank password) it didn't allowed me. So I used the old trick, edited the /etc/shadow files and from the entry for root, removed the encrypted password. After this I switched to tty1 and then enter root as login and vow... I was in to the #. Then I set the new password for root using passwd and it worked. I tried logging out and logging in and it is working. Thanks a ton.
Regards.
Ajitabh Pandey