x hung, fsck failed

I finally got the stupid Nvidia Nforce motherboard chipset drivers working
("tainted" onboard nic, vid, sound, ide, and usb drivers) and when X started
for the first time everything hung.  The capslock light on the keyboard
wouldn't go on, no response to any keystrokes whatsoever, etc.  Had to power
off.

Now of course I'm getting "fsck failed.  Please repair manually..."

What exactly should I do to fix the ext2 file system?  I mean REALLY fix it,
fix it good, fix it permanently.  This is a clean install of woody, apt-get
dist-upgrade to testing, and fresh new 2.4.20 kernel.

EVERY single time I've gotten a linux system off the ground it ends up
getting destroyed because it is so fragile to power outages or crashes or
whatever.  Someone PLEASE clue me in on how to backup whatever I need to
backup or do whatever I need to do to prevent these errors when the
inevitable happens.  This was my first compiled kernel and I am very
frusterated.  I just have this sick feeling because anytime I have had a
linux machine get powered off it was never the same again and became
difficult to troubleshoot.

TIA, sorry to express my frusterations but I know you folks are all nice and
helpful and sympathetic   8-)