Re: dist-upgrade to Woody

On Wed, 16 Apr 2003 13:59:10 +0100
<ajlakin@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

> This is my first dist-upgrade and it is from Potato to Woody. The purpose
> is to help get my network connection working with my dhcp server - Potato
> doesn't want to know :-(
>
> The question is, I have download the iso images for the first two binary
> disks for Woody but note that there are no less than 8 .jigdo images in
> total. How many do I need for a basic upgrade? Bearing in mind that once
> the network connection is up and running I can fine tune any extras over a
> cable connection.

You would only need the first Woody CD for a basic installation. (In fact
you don't even need all of that CD; there are mini-CD Woody installations.)

How many CDs you would need to dist-upgrade Potato would depend on what
packages you have installed in Potato, and where in the 8 Woody CDs their
counterparts are found. I don't know about that.

I suggest an alternate strategy. Configure your network with static IP, then
dist-upgrade to Woody, then configure dhcp.

Another alternative would be to install just the dhcp packages (and their
dependencies) from Woody, then configure dhcp, then dist-upgrade. Those
packages are basic to Woody and will be found on the first CD.

Kevin