Re: no sessions with galeon-snapshot

Brian Nelson <pyro@debian.org> wrote:
> Galeon is progressing backward rather than forward.  The 1.3 versions
> thoroughly suck IMNSHO.  Consequently, phoenix has superseded it as the
> most kick-ass browser for Linux platforms.

I actually appreciate the thought that has gone into the basic UI for
1.3. I find the menus are better laid out, preferences is not thoroughly
overwhelming like it used to be. I'm concerned though that it's becoming
so thoroughly a gnome app. I had to use gconf-editor the other day to
tweak some behavior, and that was just not the way I want to use my
computer. I had to track down and run gnome-keyboard-properties to
configure emacs keybindings, and the silly program changed my background
color. I have not yet figured out how to configure it to use mutt for
mail. And it's even harder now to check all of galeon's preferences into
CVS, as they are spread out all over the place in .galeon and .gconf, so
I might have to do this configuration dance on every new machine.

I guess I'm looking for a browser with a well-designed gtk interface
like galeon and none of the gnome integration stuff, and, preferably, a
plain text config file that must be edited with a text editor. I use
ion-devel as my window manager, so I can tile 12+ xterms and a web
browser, and gnome is at the exact other end of the spectrum.. I suppose
I should look at skipstone again, I was not impressed before but it has
been a while.

Or maybe I should go back to w3m again.. :-)

> > Phoenix doesn't seem to support session management AFAICS.  It also
> > takes a few seconds longer to load than galeon on my system.  OTOH it
> > looks prettier (at least until I get galeon configured properly).
>
> The Tabbrowser Extensions appear to (Tabbed Browsing->Advanced
> Start-up->"Open last visited tabs instead of last visited page") but it
> seems to be broken in the snapshot I'm running.

Odd that phoenix is not in debian yet.

--
see shy jo