Re: real player plugin only as root

I wonder if anyone figured problem described below. I have the same trouble --
for certain sites I can't have the sound whith streaming video as a regular
user, I have it only as the root. I checked permissions, and tried with
/dev/dsp readable/writable for all, but the same problem persists. Is there
any other device that a user must have access to in order to watch video
streams with Real Player? To make things even more confusing, I have almost
the same configuration at home, and there everything works fine (???). I run
woody + KDE 3.1.1.I The same happens with Mozilla, Konq, and standalone
RealPlayer. If anyone has an idea where to start looking please help.

Here is example site that works fine for me:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/

And one that does not:
http://www.msri.org/publications/ln/msri/2003/halgebra/huneke/1/index.html

Many thanks,
Slaven

P.S.
Please cc me, I'm not on the list.

you scould check the rights

(chmod a+rw /dev/dsp)

# ls -la /dev/dsp
crw-rw-rw-    1 root     audio     14,   3 Nov  4  2001 /dev/dsp
#

/ernst

listmaster@lists.debian.org