Re: OT: Incoming/Outgoing route of IP subnet

Alexander Steinert, 2003-Apr-15 06:28 +0200:

> A might be any internet host, so (generally) we must assume intermediate
> routers.
>
> H---|
> I---|---G---........---A
> J---|       Internet
> K---|
>     ^ Subnet N (with hosts H, I, J, K, G)
>
> > 1.  If there is no other path from A to H, then all packets from A to
> >     H will pass through G.
>
> Sure. But the original question was, looking from H's perspective, how
> often in the real world one will find further "gateways" (say F) for
> incoming traffic (to H).
>
> H---|---F---.......
> I---|---G---........---A
> J---|       Internet
> K---|

Ah, the question is clear now.  In my experience, that depends on
those running the HIJK network.  For residential this won't happen.
For a small enterprise, it's doubtful.  For a multi-site small
enterprise the possibility is there if they run a VPN between the
sites.  As the enterprise gets larger, the possibitiy increases due to
multi-location, VPN implimentation, and network redundancies.

jc

--
Jeff Coppock		Systems Engineer
Diggin' Debian		Admin and User